Search This Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015: The Year of Peace

I typically am not one for resolutions  because I don't like the feeling of defeat when what I've set out to do isn't very realistic.  However, this year I'm going to take a different approach to make my life one of peace.  Last year was definitely a trying year (peace-less at times) and was full of many ups and downs, but throughout the whole thing, I learned many valuable lessons.  So, based on those experiences, other life lessons, and what I feel God wants for my life, I've created a list of things I'm going to try harder to do this year and a list of things I'm not going to try harder to do.  Hopefully, maintaining a balance between the two will fill my life and my family's life with more peace than ever before.

Things I WILL try harder on in 2015:

  1. Write more because it is a form of therapy for me.  Possibly a book?
  2. Be open-minded and always willing to learn new things.  God has placed too many awesome people and books in this world for me to stop learning how to be the best me I can be.  
  3. Forgive and truly forgive!  I want to let more "irritating" things roll off and immediately forgive anything that causes unrest in my soul.  Life is too short!
  4. Say NO more often so that when I say YES, I will be giving the best of me.
  5. Surround myself with positive people!  Life will always be hard, but it's about how we deal with situations that affect us in the end.  Positive, positive, positive!  We are too blessed to always look at the negative!
  6. Stay healthy both physically and spiritually!  For me, this will mean eating well, spending time with God, exercising, and worrying way less!
  7. Spend quality, "there" time with my family!  They are my most prized possessions and the time I am with them needs to be meaningful.  I don't want to just check it off my list, I want it to be purposeful.
  8. Lastly, and most difficult, be open.  I want to share my thoughts and emotions with my friends and family, but in a way that is uplifting for them and me both!  
Things I will NOT try harder on in 2015:
  1. Making everyone "happy" all the time.  I'm making decisions  based on what I know is right and best, not what pleases the majority.
  2. Keeping up with everyone else!  I love social media, but it can get me down at times.  I want to spend way less time on it and when I do, not let those thoughts of comparison steal my joy.
  3. My National Boards.  I set out on the journey this past semester, was very motivated, and got ALOT of it done.  On the other hand, something happened inside of me that caused it to be burdensome and stressful.  I want to be the best teacher I can be and at the moment, this limits me being my best.  My heart needs to be in it, so maybe down the road my heart will change.
  4. Make excuses for me.  This one is strange, but my whole life I've never felt like I "fit" in.  I am very introverted, but at the same time can be extremely social.  I've always over-analyzed every moment of every social setting by asking myself, "Am I responding the right way?"  "What do they think of me?"  But, from now on, I'm going to embrace me for me and know that God made me so I need to stop trying to be everything else that I think I'm supposed to be.  Easier said than done, but that's where I am.  If I can't relate and interact, then that's not something I can help.  I don't mean to come off wrong, but I struggle with this daily!  I LOVE people, all people, but I just don't know how to show that very well! 

I'm hoping that this post made sense to the majority.  Somehow, I already feel peace just by putting this into words.  I hope everyone has a blessed year and that when life throws a curve ball, we mend and react in ways that promote peace.  Until next time :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment