Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2013

Living like a river

This morning, I was able to have a nice conversation with a friend of mine about life.  And, for all of you teachers out there, the "main idea" of our conversation was more or less about not being afraid to be your own person.  In today's society and probably more prevalent in women's lives (maybe I say that because I am a woman and only know a woman's perspective), it can be a struggle to be you.  For some reason, women tend to compare themselves to others and some go as far as trying to "fit in" and end up loosing themselves. This makes me very sad because who's to say that person is better... I mean weren't we all created equal after all? 

As a mother of a daughter, the thought of her not having confidence in herself makes me frightened.  The thought of her idolizing someone else or trying to change herself to be more like someone else makes me sick to my stomach.  I try daily to praise her and tell her how great she is, but will that be enough?  I remember when I first got pregnant with her these kind of thoughts crept into my mind so I would pray all the time that God would always steer her in the right direction and that she would be a confident, Godly woman.  I know we all struggle with this from time to time, but to be consumed by it is just heart wrenching.

Well, as I was reading today, I came across a paragraph that compared life to a river and I immediately thought about how well it related to this topic.  The author in my book said that a river is active and cleansing and confident in the direction it is headed.  All three of those things are traits I want Ella to have.  She continues by saying a river doesn't get caught up with the rocks in its path.  It flows over and around them.  How awesome would it be to raise a child that was active with the people all around them no matter who they were or where they came from, pure at heart, and confident enough in their morals and beliefs to know they were perfect just the way they were?  Even more, a river flows over and around the rocks while smoothing their jagged edges and allowing them to add to its beauty rather than take away from it.  I just love this!  To imagine my children intertwined with those around them, learning from them, loving on them, befriending them, and all the while still holding strong to whom God created them to be. 

I hope that I can live like a river in order to show my children how to do the same.  I hope that  instead of moaning and groaning when someone doesn't think the same way I do, I can embrace that diversity and keep confidence in my beliefs.  I hope that instead of getting discouraged when life doesn't go my way, I can learn to be stronger instead of worrying and overreacting.  I  hope that when the world looks tempting, I can remember who I am and why I am here.  I could literally sit here all day listing out the ways I hope to smooth out the rocks in my river of life instead of letting them take away from who I am but I need to get ready for VBS.  So, cheers to living like a river ! :)

1 comment: