Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

Latest Appointment Update

I had another two-week appointment with Dr. Timoney, my eye doctor, this past Wednesday. Before I get into the logistics of the visit, let me first tell you that the past several weeks have been amazing in terms of both my mental and physical healing.  I finally feel like me and I'm loving being able to wear makeup on my whole face!   I am preparing myself for my return to work by planning more lessons (not that they will ever get taught with this crazy weather), going shopping for "back to school" clothes, and preparing my sweet three-year old for life with a working mommy!  I sure have enjoyed my time with him, but I think it's best for both of us that I work!  He gets so attached, as do I! 

Before going to this appointment, I had researched quite a bit about my condition (blind in right eye and the lack of movement to the right is called strabismus) and made a list of questions that I wanted to ask before leaving.  So, after having the vision in my left (good) eye tested and being 20/20 (Thank the Lord!), I started in with all of my questions.
  1. Can we see or discuss the CT scans we took about three weeks ago?  Yes, he looked them over and said everything looked great.  No, wood fragments!
  2. I was reading up about a woman with similar conditions to mine and learned about Prism Glasses, are these glasses something that would work for me in regards to straightening out my eye without surgery?  No, because my case is a little more complicated.  Prism glasses are good for those with double vision or lazy eye.  (I guess I'd have to have some light perception for them to work?)
  3. I also saw this lady go through and recover from strabismus surgery, is this something I can do in the near future if my right movement doesn't come back on its own?  I'm getting really good at using only one eye, but am still very concerned and self-conscious about my eye being turned in.  Absolutely!  We'd still want to wait the six months, but I get to see a "Cranial Nerve/Muscle" doctor at my next visit.  Dr. Timoney highly recommended her and said that she would do an initial visit and then decide when and how the surgery would work for me. 
  4. When will we do the reconstruction of my eyelid?  The plan is to do it over Spring Break!  He explained the surgery in detail which I could not replicate in words, but essentially, he will lift my eyelid and insert eye lashes.  It will be an out patient surgery and recovery time is minimal.  It will be so nice to not have an irritated eye from over exposure to air!  I will also be excited to not have to lubricate my eye all the time!
  5. Will you release me to go back to work next Wednesday, February 5th?  Yes!  He wrote me a release and I immediately took it to school!  I went into the building for the first time since before Thanksgiving Break!  I saw many of my students (some welcoming...some a bit in shock!).  I'm glad that initial visit is over because it will be less to anticipate on my first day back.
So, overall, I was happy with the outcome of my visit.  This time in about 3 months, I will have a new eyelid and possibly have an idea when I will get my eye straightened!  Since my visit on Wednesday, I also talked to Dr. Patel's assistant, April, who said she was going to get in touch with Dr. Timoney to see if we could do my scar revisions the same time as the eyelid.  If not, we will wait until summer for the scars.  On the other hand, she made an appointment for this upcoming Monday to remove the piece of wood from my cheek!  I am so excited to get it out!  It drives me crazy. 

I think I've mentioned everything that's worth mentioning in this post!  All good news and a very big week coming up next week!  I will be sure to blog again after the wood is removed to at least show you a picture and then again after my first day back at school.  Until then, please pray that my anxiety stays at bay.  I always get back to school jitters, but I'm hoping I get to by-pass all that!  Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Praise God from Whom ALL Blessings flow <3 I will continue to pray that God walks close with you and that He gives you his sweet, perfect peace... A peace that passes all understanding!!! Stay strong and remember that there is nothing to get anxious about... there is no situation that God and you can't handle... big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news! I bet your students were excited to see you. I am certain they will even be more excited to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete