Search This Blog

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Back Behind the Wheel

My greatest fear at the moment is probably the thought of driving again.  Not only just driving in general, but driving with monocular vision.  My left eye is 20/20 and will help me tremendously, but it's that right eye that sees no light and will make things harder on me.  Instead of peripheral vision, I'll rely on lots of head turning and mirror usage.  The fear of someone or something coming from that right side unexpectedly is huge at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love being chauffeured around by my family and friends, but independence to get up and go when my mind is ready... is something that I want back SO bad!  It's been a month and I feel like attempting to drive is something that will help me overcome my fear and continue the road to recovery.  So today, on the way to the grocery, Kermie took me to a small church parking lot where I got back behind the wheel (of a very large Chevy Truck!) to practice.  I did so much better than I had expected.  I was able to park, go around the church clockwise, counterclockwise, and sort of do a backup park (minus running completely over one of the lines.).  This was definitely the highlight to my day and when my kids gave me high-fives after finishing up, I was pretty proud! 

I'm still not ready for a car, but the prospect of looking for one that will allow me the most visibility is comforting and exciting all at the same time.  I am thankful that God is taking this anxiety and allowing me to move on from being scared to encouraged that driving myself will be a possibility with one eye or two!

Here are a few of the pictures Kermie captured on his phone today of me behind the wheel!


3 comments:

  1. I knew you would move forward and start to over come your fears, you are very independent and want to have control of your life. You will not let the accident cheat you out of the life God has for you. I am very proud of you Jillyanne ! And you like a 12 year old driving that big truck !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Brooke!!!! You are making excellent progress and you should be so proud of yourself- overcoming so many obstacles. Still being prayer warriors in your family's name :)

    ReplyDelete