Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Blessings

As I eluded in my previous post, today was a big day in my recovery process.  I always look forward to days full of doctor appointments and today I had three of them.  I slept very little last night waiting in anticipation and prayed for a good 2 hours in the middle of the night that God would bring a positive day.  As always, He delivered.

My first appointment was with Dr. Timoney, my eye surgeon.  I have been talking to Kermie about how bad I wanted them to unstitch my eye, and being the level-headed husband he is he told me to not get my hopes up and that my doctors would make the call based on what they thought was best for my recovery.  This is one of the MANY reasons why I love him!  So, Kermie and I arrived at UK a little early, early enough for a pit stop at Starbucks which was much needed!  We were quickly called back and as soon as Dr. Timoney walked into the room he said, "So, I'm assuming you're wanting that suture out today?"  (In his adorable Irish accent!)  Kermie and I both looked at each other and then back at Dr. Timoney who proceeded to take all of the remaining stitches out of my face!  Kermie could probably describe my reaction better than I can because he was laughing at me being all giddy, but man... what an awesome early birthday present.  After the sutures came out, he checked the movement of my eye which had improved some from the previous visit.  He checked for vision which was still not there, and lastly, checked for sensation in my eye.  Basically, he took a piece of tissue paper to my good eye to see my natural reflex which was to clinch my eye.  When he did the same to the bad eye there was no sensation at all.  Overall, Dr. Timoney explained that Cranial Nerve 3 has been damaged which is what is not allowing me to open my eye lid and having trouble moving my eye to the right and up.  All of these things he said may improve with time.  He also checked the health of the eye which was still showing good blood flow, so the actual eyeball is in good shape.  The lack of vision is a result of the trauma to the optic nerve.  So, to say the least, I felt so blessed when leaving his office.  Not only was my eye not physically restricted anymore, but I knew that prayers were being answered.

Our second appointment today was with Dr. Patel's nurse who took some pictures of the wound under my eye.  She was going to send him my pictures and we are hoping to hear back from him tomorrow in regards to when the skin graft can be done.  Dr. Timoney said he was good for Patel doing the graft before he reconstructed my lower eyelid.  So, again... a waiting game, but all positive!

The third appointment today was with my primary care doctor regarding low potassium counts which was easily remedied with some potassium supplements.  They are thinking my IV meds and fungal meds could be the cause of the low counts. 

In between appointments, Kermie and I really enjoyed spending the day together.  He really is the best care taker in the world.  He has always been my "over protective" husband, but I really do feel blessed to have him.  He makes me latch on to his arm every where we go, he makes sure I have a seat to sit in, he feels out all of my paper work and asks those questions he knows are on my mind, and says that if there's anything this has taught him it's that he will never take me or our relationship for granted again.  Not that our marriage was terrible, but marriage is hard and it gets mundane and it's hard to always put each other first.  So, I am thankful for this second chance to love each other in a way that we haven't in a long time. 

Lastly, I am thankful to God for more answered prayers today.  The support shown by the people in my community, school, and Church (Grace Christian) has touched us both on a very emotional level.  God is good in all things and I know that He will take this situation regardless of the outcome of my sight to teach me and hopefully others how to continuously be grateful and faithful. 

So, until my next appointment on Thursday with my Infectious Disease Team I leave you with the latest "no stitch" picture.  I'm feeling pretty fantastic today!

4 comments:

  1. We continue to pray for healing - God moves in ways we never dream of - we have amazing husband's who truly do love us - lucky girls we are. I admire your strength and courage. Sending our love and Noah sends hugs. The Wrights

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, I have read every post and continue to pray for you with Bennett at night before bed. Your testimony is truly one that is an example of a faithful Christ follower. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Brooke (and Jamie) on how you are sharing your story to help others. We live in a world that is ruled by evil forces and mankind's free will. God has taken something horrible and has brought you and our family through it. The war is not over but many battles have been won. I am so thankful for God's protective hand. I love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful that Tuesday was a great day for you. I agree that by sharing your personal story you are touching the lives of others, mine included. I am finding your strength and willingness to lay it all in God's hands refreshing and inspiring. We serve a big God and you are showing that he is in control. More prayers and love sent your way!

    ReplyDelete