Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

New Room, New Hope

On Thursday morning around 3 am, they moved us to our very own private room.  We were living in luxury!!  And, sweet Kermie, my knight and shining armor was able to sleep somewhat more comfortable than the previous three days before!  They were very optimistic about us being about to go home at some point Thursday which I was both happy and sad about.  At this point, I was still having quite a bit of anxiety, mainly about my eye because it was still sutured shut so there was no way I could open it even if I wanted to. I remember one of the mornings an eye doctor came in to check my vision on both eyes.  I obviously couldn't see a thing from the right eye, but I was also seeing doubles out of my left eye.  I threw the eye chart at him and gave up completely!  There were also points where I would have hallucinations that would scare me to death and I didn't know how to react to them.  Kermie said that if I was talking about something that seemed frightening he would wake me. but if it was something peaceful that he'd let me ride it out.  One of my most peaceful hallucinations was Ella sitting on top of my chest.  I can actually remember laughing at her because she was sitting right on top of me staring into my face. 

One of the hardest parts about being in the hospital was my kids.  I knew they were being well taken care of and actually were doing AWESOME, but I was so embarrassed for them to see me and be scared of what they saw.  The Lord helped me there too of course.  Each day they came to visit I would show more and more of my face until they finally saw the whole thing.  Of course there were questions, but overall they were just glad their mommy was okay.

One of the last things we did Thursday before being discharged was getting my Pick Line put in.  My Infectious Team Doctors wanted me to stay on antibiotics at home until December 23rd while Home Health would be monitoring me every Monday.  The Pick Line procedure was a little weird, but I was thankful not to have to be pricked every time it was time for my meds which by this point was every 5am, 10 am, 5 pm, and 10 pm.  I keep telling Kermie that I'm like his newborn baby because he has all of his alarms set to administer and unhook me.  He's been such a trooper.  Without him and my mom, I would be at a loss!  They make a great team!  I honestly don't know what people do that don't have that family support.  I am so thankful for mine!

So, the next big step in the process is my eye appointment on Tuessday.  I am hoping he will open it, sight or no sight, but I also know that I don't want to rush anything either.  I now have a new pair of glasses to protect both eyes which I'm feeling pretty "cool" in.  My plastics doctor seems fairly ready to do the skin graft under my right eye where some of my skin tissue did not survive, but I think the two are working together to see what will be best overall. 

I really do appreciate all the prayers and gifts and just outpouring of love from everyone in our community.  It has definitely made the healing process easier and has kept my faith and spirits high.  I will continue to update as each new step in the mending process comes and until then... THANK YOU for being my support!  I love you all! :)
This picture shows me at home getting IV meds with stitches still in face.  Eye still stitched closed.

This picture shows me at home again heals more and more !  Eye still stitched closed.

This picture shows me home with face stitches out, new glasses, and eye still stitched closed.

7 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are healing mind, body, and soul!!! You will continue to be in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, I am so relieved to see you are in good spirits and the healing process has been going smoothly. I have been praying for you daily and hoping for a quick and healthy recovery. You are such a strong woman and I admire you for sharing your story and recovery. I know you will get through this and make the most of this journey!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke we are so thankful that you are home! We are continously praying for you! Chloe (Rutledge) was on one of the busses behind your accident and she said she kept saying That's Mrs Donovan! She was so upset to see you like that! I was so happy to give her good news as it was given to me! You have so many people praying over you and love you! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your spirit and strength. You are beautiful inside and out. Jamie has always given the impression that you are his rock, but I think you both are the perfect example of what true love looks like. I will continue to pray for a quick and healthy recovery. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. We all have been worries about you and glad you are doing better. Lacey has been bugging me wanting to come see you. If you are up for it maybe we can do over Xmas break? Let me know if this is good for you and I will bring her to see you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have definitely been in our thoughts and prayers!! Glad to see you home and healing! God is so good! Kita

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do serve a BIG GOD.. so Thankful that things are starting to heal and will continue to pray fro complete healing of your eye and emotions.. It takes a lot of strength and courage to tell your story. Loving Family and friends are indeed amazing and it seems you have an abundance of both :)

    ReplyDelete