Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Secrets

From what I could gather at the ER, I had a large piece of the wooden fence post lodged in my eye socket.  No one knew how big, if it had splintered, or what damage it would be causing.  I also knew that they were rushing me into have scans done and then rushing quickly to the OR for surgery.  I remember them taking me back and praying, "Dear God, please let me fall asleep for at least this part!"  Sure enough, the anesthesia did the trick and my mind could now turn off!  Praise the Lord! 

The secrets I alluded to in the title of this post though are that I had no idea how many surgeons would be in the OR and why neuro-surgeons were among those present.  Apparently, there could have been brain bleeding when removing the wood and splinters and they wanted to be there on standby.   Kermie has spoken to me briefly about the time spent out in the waiting room during the surgeries.  From what I understand it lasted about about 6 or 7 hours in which two men helped piece me back together. And, from what I also gathered, there were so many people there to support me that made my heart so happy!  I felt bad not getting to see hardly any of them, but just knowing people were there and were praying was a huge blessing!  Dr. Timoney did all of the work on my eye.  He made sure that all pieces were removed (one large approximately 6 inch piece) and that any splinters had been removed too.  He told my family that my optic nerve which allows sight had not been severed but severely compressed.  Many of the nerves which allow eye movement had been damaged, but that those things can maybe heal with time.  Dr. Patel did all of the work sewing my face back together.  And, from what I know about these two men now is that they have definitely been called to do this job.  Everyone kept saying they are the best you could have hoped for and are very meticulous with their work. 

After surgery, I went to recovery in which they say I was a little feisty... nothing knew to my family :)  And, after recovery down to the basement of UK hospital in the CDU unit.  I guess it was kind of like an overflow of ICU patients.  They were packed!  We spent the next 3 days in this room with another couple and under the care of my nurses and all of my doctors.  Each morning at around 5 am Dr. Patel's doctors would come check on me, Dr. Timoney would could at some point, and Dr. Patel himself made several appearances.  The only new team that introduced themselves during these three days was the Infectious Disease Team.  This group was mainly concerned with the bacteria that could have been on the wood that was lodged in my eye and they wanted to be sure that I was put on the right antibiotics to prevent any future infections.  Fine by me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment