Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Not Your Typical Monday Morning Edurance

It was Monday, December 2, 2013... the Monday right after Thanksgiving Break!  Of course my mind was still lazy from all the food and festivities and enjoying time with my family, but I got up as normal and told myself that my other babies needed me for these next two weeks!  Plus, the last few weeks of school before Christmas Break are the most fun right?  I had my week planned out and was ready to conquer another unit of Social Studies with my fast little learners. 

Usually, every Monday, I drop off my son first at a subdivision along my way to school and realized half way there that I had left my cell phone at home.  Failure number one.  I told his sitter, gave my kisses, and to my surprise he actually said, "My won't cry mommy!"  And, drop off was that simple. Ella always asks when I get back in the van, "Did he cry today, mommy?"  And, today, I told her not a single tear!  It's always hard leaving your babies even when you know they are in good hands! 

So, off we went.  Ella and I love listening to Christmas music so we turned some on and headed toward school the easiest/shortest way from where we were.  We rounded Toyota, turned onto the by-pass heading towards Cynthiana, and then right onto Newtown Pike.  The world was well.  The music was festive, we were on time, there was no rush, no cell phone to distract me and then tragedy struck.  There is a point in this road where there is a curve and I guess with it still be fairly dark out I miss judged how far I was to the side of the road.  I'm assuming my passenger side tire ran off and in order to avoid completely running off the road I over corrected instead.  By this point, I'm not really sure what my reactions were... maybe slam on my brakes, maybe straighten it out with hitting oncoming traffic, but by the time my mind had come up with a plan, my van veered the opposite direction, hit a light post which then sent me into a farm plank post.  I remember my windshield shattering, I remember hearing Ella who was in the passenger side in her car seat saying, "Mommy, I'm so hurt!  Mommy, what happened?"  So, I immediately, got out of my van... how I'm unsure and go her out of the van.  I took a quick minute to look her over and to what I could see she was just very scared and worried about me.  By this point, she and I both new that I could not use my right eye (I knew something was in it, but did not want her to see it so I tried to cover it the best I could.).  I pulled her far from the road and into the grass and told her to start praying for our safety and that Jesus would make things all better.  While she did that, I next tried to figure out how to get help without having a cellphone.  I ran up to the road yelling for help and the first person that saw me happened to be one of my students and her father.  They saved my life!  They immediately called 911, took great care of my terrified little girl, and applied whatever first aide they thought I needed.  I explained to them that I didn't have a cellphone, but I needed to get a hold of my family.  Ella was able to spout off her daddy's number and my mom's number.  I know those phone calls will haunt both of them for the rest of their lives, but I was so proud of my girl for being so brave and knowing how to react in such a terrible situation.

I soon remember other cars, school busses, and people at the scene and it wasn't long until EMS arrived to rush me to UK hospital.  I remember praying to loose consciousness, but never did.  I remember hearing Ella asking over and over, "Is mommy going to be okay?"  And telling them, "This is the worst day of my life!"  I also remember being so thankful that she was able to ride in the ambulance with us on the way to the hospital and thankful that she was unharmed.  I kept getting very nauseous on the ambulance and I even remember hearing Ella telling the paramedics, "I have anxiety about people puking!"  The paramedics were so good with her though and had her sing songs and get her mind off of all of the terrible! 

What seemed like ten minutes went by and we arrived at UK. I still wasn't sure if Kermie knew where I was or how bad I was hurt or if my mom knew where I was or how bad I was hurt.  I just knew I couldn't wait to see my family and for them to know Ella was safe and that I would be ok. I remember being rushed into the ER and all of the doctors being so kind and assuring me that they would be taking Ella to the pediatric ER to have a look over while they called in a team of doctors to examine my eye.  Minutes later, I saw Kermie and I knew I could rest assured he would make sure everything would work out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment