Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

Created Different

As soon as I woke up this morning, I wanted to blog.  I considered blogging about how my two year old wakes me up every morning screaming to get him chocolate milk (the terrible twos are in full force...unfortunately, I think we may also see the terrible threes).   A couple hours later, I wanted to write about how great my kids can play together at times.  Regrettably, this brother/sister bliss didn't last too long. 

It wasn't until tonight during my women's study that I was certain what this post would be about.... being created different.  For the past three weeks, I have been participating in a women's bible study with some girls from my church.  We've titled our group, "Coolest Women's Small Group Ever" and I'm certain we will live up to the name. :)  We are working through the book What Happens When Women Say Yes to God.  I have really enjoyed the book so far (keep in mind, we've only read the first chapter).  Part of our study is watching a DVD of the author of the book, Lysa Terkeurst.  This lady has an awesome story and makes many great points.  One of the things she said tonight really struck home with me though.  I may totally botch her words, but sadly my pen wasn't able to keep up with her greatness. 
 "We weren't created to be normal.  We were made different in order to make a difference." 
Throughout life, or at least in my life, I have tried to be normal.  When I notice things about myself that aren't "normal," I will typically try to fix them.  For instance, many people were taught that wives are these awesome cooks that fix home cooked meals seven nights a week.  Well, I hate cooking!  I know hate is a strong word, but I honestly have NO desire to do it at all.  Does that make me not normal?  Does it make me a bad wife? A bad mom?  I always thought so and therefore, tried to make myself like cooking.  Epic fail.... I will never be a good cook. Thank goodness my husband can cook and happens to be great at it! 

Now, I know this scenario isn't totally related to the later part of Lysa's quote so let me use another example.  Since about... my entire life, I have been a quiet person.  Yes, I was a cheerleader and yes, I had a social life, but I have always been timid to speak up about things.  It wasn't until college that I really started to notice how different I was from those around me.  My friends had no trouble meeting new people and talking to complete strangers.  They had no trouble offering up opinions and advice in large group settings.  They had no trouble telling others about their life issues.  Me on the other hand, I internalize everything.  I've been called "stuck up" and "boring" by various people throughout the years.  Little do these people know that I didn't want to be the way I was.  I felt like an odd ball, but no matter how hard I tried to be "normal" or prayed to be able to be more "outgoing," I always stayed my quiet self.  After hearing Lysa's quote tonight, I was reminded of how God created me.  Not only did He create me, but He created me different for a specific reason.  I may struggle to understand what this reason is on most days, but I have faith that He did indeed create me different in order to make a difference. 

So, the next time you or someone you know feels the need to fit into the whole "normal" gig, remind yourself that you were created different on purpose.  The God of this universe wants to use you just the way you are. 

Until tomorrow.... goodnight  :) 

3 comments:

  1. I love this Brooke! Luckily, you have an "oddball" sister in law who does not enjoying cooking, and is quiet and often mistaken for stuck up. One day when we hit the jackpot we will have our own personal vegetarian chefs! ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate and though I'm not blogging anymore right now- I am starting to get back to reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen on the cooking!! Thankful for a husband that happily shares this role :) I sometimes wish I were more "quiet" and able to not be so outspoken.... It comes out differently than I intend for it to. God creates us perfect for His glory!

    ReplyDelete